If your loved one dies in a DUI car accident, you’re allowed to pursue compensation for wrongful death. In the state of California, the next of kin are allowed to make a wrongful death claim for the income they would have received from the deceased individual, or for the lost value of services that the deceased would have rendered or for the loss of companionship or love the deceased would have provided.
On the other hand, if you’re injured in a car accident, you’re entitled to pursue compensation for the following:
- Any lost earnings as the result of the accident
- Any lost future capacity of earning
- Any medical expenses incurred as a result of the accident
- Any medical expenses expected in the future as a result of the accident such as rehabilitative and expenses or physiotherapy. Also surgical expenses to correct disfigurement or scarring
- Vocational rehabilitation, especially if the injury prevents you from going back to your former employment.
- Expenses for purchasing wheelchairs or any other equipment to help you cope with the disability including vehicles to accommodate your disability.
- Expenses incurred in remodeling a home to make it comfortable for the disabled victim
- Nursing care and assisted living expenses
- Pain and suffering as a result of the accident including mental anguish, emotional distress or loss of enjoyment of life.
- The victim’s spouse is also entitled to compensation for the loss of sexual relations to the victim as a result of the accident.
Disabling and severe injuries allow the victim to get a large amount for compensation. According to tjryanlaw, any injury leading to loss of income, long lasting pain, hospitalization or anything else mentioned above allows the victim to get substantial settlement. Some of the devastating injuries resulting from the crash include the following:
- Brain or head injuries
- Neck and spinal injuries
- Organ damage
- Joint injuries
- Nerve damage
- Optical injuries
- Facial disfigurement
- Burn injuries
Note that, soft tissue injuries such as ligaments, tendons or torn muscles can also cause the victim to endure chronic pain for many years. In the event that the injury never heals properly, the victim needs to adopt a lifetime of managing pain. As a result, the victim might choose to seek the representation of car accident attorneys. In most cases, the victims of a car accident might be undergoing medical treatment or may have sustained serious injuries impairing their capability to represent themselves.
Note that, experienced lawyers have negotiated many cases over the years they have been in business. Therefore, if you’re looking for the best car accident attorney, you should always contact a specialist injury firm immediately.
Certainly, if you’re losing your income because of the car accident, you need something to sustain you for the days to come. Additionally, the next of kin deserve an income if the deceased is the bread winner of the family. That’s why seeking a wrongful death compensation is the best idea because there is some income from the damages. However, choosing the right attorney for the compensation claim is something you need to consider. if the case isn’t represented properly, it’s very likely the victim or the next of kin will not get anything from it.